Keep your Sak handbag and accessories looking their best and lasting long with proper care and cleaning. Follow our steps below to care for your leather, crochet, or faux leather handbag and accessories. It’s important to practice preventative care, not letting your bag get soiled, soaked, or dried out.
For an overall or internal cleaning, it’s best to remove all contents first. Empty all pockets, opening all zippers or buttons, and shake upside down to remove any debris and crumbs. Next, pull the interior of the bag to the outside or turn the bag inside out so the lining is exposed. Use a lint roller to capture dust and lint, or the fabric brush attachement on a vacuum. If you are doing a spot cleaning, you may not need to empty bag.
• Choose a leather cleaner that will help preserve natural oils instead of stripping them. The cleaner should not leave any residue, which can make leather susceptible to bacteria and break down stitching.
• Before applying cleaner, test on a small area that is not visible. Once you’ve confirmed the cleaner is acceptable to use, apply to item, and then remove with a slightly dampened cloth.
• Another cleaning product to consider is a nubuck cleaning cloth, which can help clean and restore leather to its original look.
• You can read our full leather bag care guide on our blog, Beyond the Craft.
Crochet and Knit
• Remove all contents from inside your bag.
• Spot clean your crochet using cold water and a mild soap or detergent.
• Lay bag flat and in it’s original shape on a dry towel to air dry.
PVC Faux Leather
• Add a splash of mild laundry detergent to a bowl of cold water.
• Dip a soft, clean cloth or non-abrasive sponge into water, wringing out excess. Gently rub the surface of your handbag.
• Rinse cloth so it is free of detergent and dampen with water, wiping off any soap residue on your bag.
• Using a clean, dry cloth, wipe your bag dry. You may also let your PVC bag air dry until it is completely moisture free.